Tuesday 18 October 2011

making it work

I just finished reading The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks, which could be a bit late or not.

I know the movie had been out a long time ago. But I just prefer to read books more than the movies (when they're made into movies). I could picture what they wear and what they do in each paragraph - all in my mind. That's a whole lot more fun than having your expectations crushed when you watch the movie and it doesn't deliver.

The book is really good. I could now see why my two brothers are really into Sparks' books.

I feel that having a relationship when it feels it's not going to work as a waste. And Sparks wrote about that.
I mean, if the relationship can't survive the long term, why on earth would it be worth my time and energy for the short term? ― Nicholas Sparks, The Last Song
We might as well be looking for that Mr. and Mrs. Right, and not spend time being 'together' temporarily.  Could we even call it a relationship? We will be thinking, 'oh, I'm going back home after this summer ends and this guy won't even remember me.' 'This girl's cool, but I can't picture myself being with her for long.'

But then there are also temporary flings that grow and put their roots deep in our hearts. I mean can we really tell if the feelings are going to stay? Or if the feelings are mutual? How can we know? Is it as easy as in the books - I felt the connection from the first time we set our eyes upon each other; I felt the urge to get to know the guy/girl; or we fought every time we met but I have these heavy feelings in my heart for her/him??

How to tell?

2 comments:

  1. I think loving someone is always worth it- even if it doesn't last. My failed relationships have taught me so much about myself, my needs and what I want in a partner. I'm not sure I would have come to any of that without trying and failing.

    Sorry to disagree with Mr. Sparks, I just feel the the windy road of life can't be planned and that the detours from what you "think" you need are often the most memorable parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, come to think of it you're right. Failed relationships do teach us a lot. Thank you for sharing your opinion :)

    ReplyDelete